Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powerage (1978)

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Powerage
Artist: AC/DC
Genre: Hard Rock
Released: 1978

Tracks:
1 - Rock 'n' Roll Damnation - 3:39
2 - Down Payment Blues - 6:06
3 - Gimme a Bullet - 3:23
4 - Riff Raff - 5:14
5 - Sin City - 4:46
6 - What's Next to the Moon - 3:33
7 - Gone Shootin' - 5:00
8 - Up to My Neck in You - 4:15
9 - Kicked in the Teeth - 3:53

Overview:
Powerage was a first in the sense that it debuted bassist Cliff Williams, but it really is more of a final curtain to the band's early years. It would be the last produced by Vanda & Young, the legendary Australian production team who also helmed hits by the Easybeats, and it was the last before AC/DC became superstars. As such, it's perhaps the most overlooked of their '70s records, also because, frankly, it is the most uneven of them. Not that it's a bad record -- far from it, actually. There are a few genuine classics here, most notably "Down Payment Blues" and "Up to My Neck in You," and there's a real appeal in how Bon Scott's gutter poems of excess are reaching a mythic level; there's a real sense that he truly does believe that rock & roll leads straight to hell on "Rock 'n' Roll Damnation." But overall, the record is just a bit too wobbly, one where the parts don't add up to a record as hard and addictive as before -- but there's still plenty worth hearing here.

Riff_Raff

My favourite album of all time. It was the perfect bridging of the raw production of Let There Be Rock and the polished Highway to Hell but for me Powerage had a nice balance.

The melodic numbers like Gone Shootin, What's Next To The Moon really are phenomenal songs showcasing their blues talent at the time.
Down Payment Blues is my favourite song on the album and one of their heavier songs on the album too.

Most underrated song for me would be Kicked In The Teeth.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB