Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: Pink Floyd

Members:

Roger Waters
David Gilmour
Rick Wright
Nick Mason

Albums: (The album title is a link to the album thread with the album video)

Piper At The Gates of Dawn (1967)
A Saucer Full Of Secrets (1968)
More (1969)
Ummagumma (1969)
Atom Heart Mother (1970)
Meddle (1971)
Obscured By Clouds (1972)
The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)
Wish You Were Here (1975)
Animals (1977)
The Wall (1979)
The Final Cut (1983)
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (1987)
The Division Bell (1994)
The Endless River (2014)

Pink Floyd were an English rock band that achieved international success with their progressive and psychedelic rock music marked by the use of philosophical lyrics, sonic experimentation, and elaborate live shows. One of the most commercially successful and influential rock groups in the history of popular music, they have sold over 250 million records worldwide, including 74.5 million certified units in the United States. They were inducted into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996, and the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2005.
The band originally consisted of university students Roger Waters, Nick Mason, Richard Wright, and Syd Barrett. Founded in 1965, they gained popularity performing in London's underground music scene during the late 1960s. Under Barrett's creative leadership they released two charting singles, "Arnold Layne" and "See Emily Play", and a successful début album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967). Guitarist and vocalist David Gilmour joined as a fifth member in December 1967, several months prior to Barrett's April 1968 departure due to deteriorating mental health. With the loss of Syd, the band moved from psychedelic pop to a more progressive sound, with many tracks written collaboratively while on tour. With this line-up they achieved critical and commercial success with the concept albums The Dark Side of the Moon (1973), Wish You Were Here (1975), Animals (1977) and The Wall (1979). With Animals and The Wall, Waters became the primary songwriter.
Wright was forced by Waters to leave the group in 1979. Following The Final Cut (1983), the group was temporarily disbanded by Waters. Gilmour and Mason reformed in 1985, and were subsequently rejoined by Wright. They continued to record and tour through 1994, despite Waters' failed 1986 attempt to legally prevent them continuing as Pink Floyd; two more albums followed, A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) and The Division Bell (1994). After almost two decades of acrimony the band reunited in 2005 for a single performance, at the global awareness event Live 8. Wright died in 2008. Surviving members Gilmour and Mason joined Waters at one of his The Wall Tour shows on 12 May 2011 at the O2 Arena in London; Gilmour performed "Comfortably Numb" along with Waters and "Outside the Wall" with Mason and Waters.

Last edited:

DrMaddVibe

THIS is my favorite out of all their songs though. The quiet build up...the crescendo...and the closing lyrics...

Have you heard the news?
The dogs are dead!
You better stay home
And do as you're told

Get out of the road if you want to grow old

Somewhere along the way of listening to them...they opened my mind. They made me think. They changed me and let me know that there are thinking people doing this Rock N Roll stuff and that there are adults at the table. Lyrically challenging the mind to grasp the possibilities, the philosophies and another alternative to what is and what could be.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Ahem...

This guy's solo work dovetails right into PF.

Personally, I believe Waters enabled Syd by altering him to the point of destruction to wrest control o the band away from him. He was the driving force behind their early success and the magazines and tabloids ate him up!

Syd and David remained friends up to the end.......

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
Just a note, audiodb didn't list the album "More" for some reason, I'll go ahead and and put it up in the album list and maybe sometime soon they'll list and I can create an album thread for it.

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
I am soon to be excommunicated from this board. Never saw the draw to PF. There was always a lot of wasted space on there albums with random electronic noises. Umma Gumma is a prime example.

4:57 of WTF is this crap.

Last edited:

SiphonOfDestruction

@Oldhippie

Horse-face Roger Waters is all a living noisebox, a narcissistic asshole, and an amazing songwriter.

What a great addition to a band like PF, but yeah, that album is... Definitely experimental. Influential, to say the least, believe it or not.

Lynch

I love everything from DSOTM through the Division Bell. Well, The Final Cut was kind of weak, but had a few decent songs. I like Meddle (don't love it , but do like it), and don't mind Obscured by Clouds, but anything before Meddle will likely never get another play from me again. I could maybe play albums 2-5 on a very rare occasion, but I know that I'll never play Piper ever again. I find that album to be SO vastly overrated. I don't care for the music, the singing, the lyrics... etc. All pap to my ears. For those that love the early albums, I'm happy for ya. No matter how many times I've tried listening to those songs, I just find them grating and/or boring.

I'm glad they changed their style in the 70's. Not a bad track on three straight albums (DSTOM, WYWH and Animals), and the vast majority of The Wall is also great. As I mentioned above, Final Cut was so-so, but then Momentary Laps and The Division Bell both hit home for me. Enjoyed both of those albums. Delicate Sound of Thunder is one of my all-time favorite live albums. Great tracks from start to finish. Pulse is also a hell of an album, but I do find myself skipping past Astronomy almost every single time.

The album they put out a couple of years ago was a big disappointment to me. Was hoping for ... I don't know what I was hoping for, but it wasn't that. I think I listened to that album maybe 3 times and it has been collecting dust ever since. But again, for about 20-22 years ('73-95) , one of my all-time favorite bands. Outside of that time period? Meh.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I am soon to be excommunicated from this board. Never saw the draw to PF. There was always a lot of wasted space on there albums with random electronic noises. Umma Gumma is a prime example.

4:57 of WTF is this crap.
We don't judge here,....we understand that everyone has their own opinions. I personally have found the early Floyd to be an aquired taste. It took me a long time to warm up to the second album, I still haven't completely warmed up to Piper. I really like the "Narrow Way" from Ummagumma. 'Grantchester Meadows" is one I find enjoyable as well. But most of their early stuff is a little too "out there" for me.

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
We don't judge here,....we understand that everyone has their own opinions. I personally have found the early Floyd to be an aquired taste. It took me a long time to warm up to the second album, I still haven't completely warmed up to Piper. I really like the "Narrow Way" from Ummagumma. 'Grantchester Meadows" is one I find enjoyable as well. But most of their early stuff is a little too "out there" for me.
I said that with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.

Slow Poke

Pink Floyd is one of those bands that don't fit neatly in to a category, are they Prog?, are they Psychedelic? are they Hard Rock? I'm sure some would say that Pink Floyd aren't hard rock, but if you listen to Animals and the Wall, there is ample evidence that they are in fact a hard rock band, just maybe not in the normal sense of the term.

Lynch

PF evolved over time. Their 60's stuff sounds absolutely nothing like their early 70's stuff moving on forward. Division Bell and Momentary Lapse sound a bit different since Waters wasn't involved at all, but they do sound Floyd-ish, as opposed to a Gilmore solo effort.

But yeah, I have a hard time putting them into a single category as they fit several genres/sub-genres of music.