Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gilmour

Magic

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: David Gilmour

Solo Albums:

Where to begin...with such an influential musician. A guitarist, singer, writer and producer for Pink Floyd, David Gilmour brought to the world such hit songs as 'Comfortably Numb' and 'Money.' David Gilmour joined Pink Floyd in 1967 as secondary guitarist. In 1968 Gilmour became lead guitarist and vocalist which helped the band achieve international success.

Gilmour was unhappy with how things were being handled in Pink Floyd, so he began to work on a solo project. In 1978 he released his first solo album, but did not leave Pink FLoyd. Gilmour has also worked with numerous artists like Kate Bush, Roy Harper, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Atomic Rooster, Supertramp, Pete Townshend, Elton John......the list goes on and on.

Gilmour released his third solo album, On An Island, on his 60th birthday.

In 2014, Gilmour decided to close the books on Pink Floyd, and worked on his 4th album, Rattle That Lock.

Rattle That Lock (lyrics by Polly Gilmour)

In Any Tongue (piano by Gabriel Gilmour)

A Boat Lies Waiting (backing vocal harmonies by David Crosby & Graham Nash) {{{Note: this may put you to sleep}}}}

Last edited by a moderator:

DrMaddVibe

I knew David was talented, but I had no idea he was that talented to pull off the album "On An Island". For all rights and purposes THAT should've been the follow up to "The Final Cut". I didn't really like what Pink Floyd morphed into after Waters departure from the band. They really made some mediocre slop. "On An Island" had elements of the best parts of PF, you can hear "Animals", "Wish You Were Here" and "DSOTM". When I read the credits...I was floored at whom was doing the heavy lifting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_an_Island

Read it. I'm still amazed.

A guitarist that's every bit as good but gets sooo overlooked by everyone...Phil Manzanera behind the mixing boards???!!! The result is a magnificent experience that is throughly experienced with headphones and a dark room.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Gilmour being a gifted multi- instrumentalist.......Gilmour's wife wrote most of the lyrics and with composer Zbigniew Preisner behind orchestration, it can't be anything other than a stellar experience.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I knew David was talented, but I had no idea he was that talented to pull off the album "On An Island". For all rights and purposes THAT should've been the follow up to "The Final Cut". I didn't really like what Pink Floyd morphed into after Waters departure from the band. They really made some mediocre slop. "On An Island" had elements of the best parts of PF, you can hear "Animals", "Wish You Were Here" and "DSOTM". When I read the credits...I was floored at whom was doing the heavy lifting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_an_Island

Read it. I'm still amazed.

A guitarist that's every bit as good but gets sooo overlooked by everyone...Phil Manzanera behind the mixing boards???!!! The result is a magnificent experience that is throughly experienced with headphones and a dark room.

I'll have to check this out!

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
The debut album David Gilmour celebrates it's 40th birthday today May 25, 2018.

Short and Sweet

Cry From the Street