Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billion Dollar Babies (1973)

Speed King

Content Creator
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Billion Dollar Babies
Artist: Alice Cooper
Genre: Garage Rock
Released: 1973

Tracks:
1 - Hello Hooray - 4:15
2 - Raped and Freezin' - 3:19
3 - Elected - 4:05
4 - Billion Dollar Babies - 3:43
5 - Unfinished Sweet - 6:18
6 - No More Mr. Nice Guy - 3:06
7 - Generation Landslide - 4:31
8 - Sick Things - 4:18
9 - Mary Ann - 2:21
10 - I Love the Dead - 5:07

CD 2
1 - Hello Hooray - 3:04
2 - Billion Dollar Babies - 3:47
3 - Elected - 2:28
4 - I'm Eighteen - 4:50
5 - Raped and Freezin' (live) - 3:14
6 - No More Mr. Nice Guy - 3:07
7 - My Stars (live) - 7:32
8 - Unfinished Sweet (live) - 6:01
9 - Sick Things (live) - 3:16
10 - Dead Babies (live) - 2:58
11 - I Love the Dead - 4:48
12 - Coal Black Model T (outtake) - 4:28
13 - Son of Billion Dollar Babies (Generation Landslide) (outtake) - 3:45
14 - Slick Black Limousine - 4:26

Overview:
Billion Dollar Babies is the sixth studio album by American rock band Alice Cooper, released in 1973. The album became the best selling Alice Cooper record at the time of its release, hit number one on the album charts in both the United States and the United Kingdom, and went on to be certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. The album was well received by such critics as Robert Christgau, Greg Prato of AllMusic, and Jason Thompson of popmatters, but Rolling Stone gave the album only two and a half stars.

Songs were recorded in both the state of Connecticut and London, England. Lyrics cover topics and themes such as necrophilia, the fear of dentists, horror, and sexual harassment.

Drummer Neal Smith has said that the album can be traced back to the song "Caught in a Dream" from the album Love It to Death. The first recording sessions for the album took place in Greenwich, Connecticut in a mansion called the Galecie Estate. To achieve certain vocal sounds and echos, microphones were run through rooms of various sizes and a greenhouse. Other sessions were held at Morgan Studios in London, where singer Donovan contributed to the album by singing on its title track. The album was produced by Bob Ezrin with Gerry Lyon as assistant in New York, Connecticut and London.

Guitarists Glen Buxton and Michael Bruce both used Gibson SGs for the album. Three more guitarists, Mick Mashbir, Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter, were also featured on the album to help cover for Buxton who at the time was suffering from pancreatitis.

A Quadraphonic mix of the album was released on both 8-Track and reel-to-reel format, as well as vinyl. This features radically different mixes of all of the songs, including different vocal tracks ("Raped And Freezin'"), unfaded endings ("Generation Landslide"), and editing ("I Love The Dead"). Alice's lead vocals are more upfront in the mix than the stereo mix. This mix of the album has remained unreleased in any digital format.

The album's title comes from the fact that Alice Cooper and the band were surprised about their success. Cooper related: "How could we, this band that two years ago was living in the Chambers Brothers' basement in Watts, be the Number one band in the world, with people throwing money at us?" The title was also later used as the name of the group Neal Smith, Dennis Dunaway, and Michael Bruce formed after Alice Cooper band had split up. Cooper says "The whole idea behind the Billion Dollar Babies album was exploiting the idea that people do have sick perversions."

Alice Cooper, who wrote the majority of the album's lyrics, cited Chuck Berry as a key influence on his writing. "Hello Hooray", the album's opening track, was written by Canadian singer/songwriter Rolf Kempf and was previously recorded by Judy Collins. The band wanted their version of the song to sound like "Alice Cooper meets Cabaret." The album's third track, "Elected", is a rewrite of an earlier song by the band entitled "Reflected". "Raped and Freezin'" has been called a "hilarious and gorgeously catchy" take on the idea of sexual harassment by PopMatters's Jason Thompson "Unfinished Sweet" is about visiting a dentist with sound effects recorded by Gerry Lyon. The title track was co-written by Reggie Vinson (credited on original pressings of the album as "R. Reggie," i.e., "Rockin' Reggie Vinson"), who had played guitar on and performed vocals for School's Out. Donovan described the song as a "horror story song". The album's closing track, "I Love the Dead", is a tongue-in-cheek song about necrophilia.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB