Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr. Gregory

ANATHEMA-0803-2014-credit-Scarlet-Page-600px.jpg

Official Website

Current members:
Albums:
Anathema are an English band that started out as a gothic/doom metal band and eventually shifted towards progressive rock. It's a family affair - Vincent, Daniel, and Jamie are brothers, and John and Lee are brother and sister. Most of them share or have shared vocal and various instrumental duties at times. I'm not too familiar with their earlier stuff, but I'm a big fan of their newer work.

I have four of their albums: Judgement, We're Here Because We're Here, Weather Systems, and Distant Satellites. As I stated in the "What are you listening to" thread, this is, quite frankly, some of the best music I have ever heard in my life, of any genre. There's really not much more that needs to be said, and I'm struggling to find any other way to describe it. It's just amazing, emotional, uplifting atmospheric progressive rock. The lyrics tend to be on the deeper side and touch on love, life, and even near death experiences in the closer on Weather Systems.

I'm just gonna shut up and let this incredible music do the talking.

Emotional Winter (from Judgement)

Summer Night Horizon (from We're Here Because We're Here)

Dreaming Light (from We're Here Because We're Here)

Untouchable, Pt. 1 (from Weather Systems)

Untouchable, Pt. 2 (from Weather Systems)

The Gathering Of The Clouds

Riff_Raff

They are one of a handful of great bands whose early albums are in such contrast to the sound of their modern albums. I would say Katatonia and Amorphis are the other two bands also well known for their transition from doomy death to more progressive/melodic directions.